Although it’s not even Thanksgiving yet, I am going to get you started on the path to an ultra-creative DIY Christmas. Have you made your own gifts for giving for Christmas before? If so, you know that it’s a process that requires both patience and time, so we are going to take advantage of having enough time to do it, and to do it right! So I’m teaming up with some of my favorite blogging friends to bring you our 12 Days of DIY Christmas series, where we’ll be sharing our favorite homemade gift ideas!(The other participating posts are listed, and will keep growing, at the bottom of this post)
The important thing to remember about this blog hop is to keep coming back to this post over the next two weeks and see what kind of great ideas we’re thinking up. New posts from these bloggers will keep getting added on here as they are published! How exciting is that? So, hit “bookmark” and start getting your D-I-Y on!
HOW TO MAKE A DIY ESSENTIAL OIL DIFFUSER LOCKET NECKLACE
I’ve started making my own essential oil diffuser necklaces. And when I started to do that, I wanted an option of something that was a little different than the clay necklaces (that are also beautiful, effective and can be a DIY project). I love metal jewelry. I love lockets. So why not combine the two, to get the therapeutic benefits of wearing my awesome essential oils each day, in a fashionable form?
For this project you will need:
- Metal diffuser pendant / locket. These are readily available at most craft stores that have a jewelry making section
- Matching metal chain (any style you like)
- Matching metal jump rings (2 different, small sizes. Buying a variety pack is usually the best option for the best price)
- Matching metal clasps (any style that you like)
- Felt fabric (or very thin cork would work too)
- Needle nosed pliers (I find it helpful to have two to use – one to hold, one to bend/squeeze/etc…)
- Small wire cutters (these can be found in the jewelry making section as well)
Measure how long you want your chain to be, and use the small wire cutters to gently cut through the chain. Use your needle nosed pliers to pull apart two small jump rings just enough to be able to slide one through each end of the chain. Working on one end at a time, slide each jump ring through an end of the necklace chain. Then, slide the clasp ends onto each jump ring. Gently squeeze the jump rings back together so there is no gap anymore – do this by the sides, and then from the top/bottom to get it tight.
For most pendants you will probably be able to just slide your completed chain (small end first) right through to hang it on the necklace. For some (such as the medallion one I made), you will need to attach a slightly larger jump ring directly onto the locket (see detail below), and then slide your completed chain through that ring.
Cut small squares of felt fabric. Add 1-2 drops of your favorite essential oil(s) to the felt and place inside your DIY essential oil diffuser locket necklace. You can now enjoy the benefits of therapeutic essential oils drifting up to you from your beautiful jewelry. Whenever you want to change your scent, just put in a new piece of felt, add drops of oil(s), and you are good to go!
Here are a few of my favorite essential oils for some inspiration:
- Vetiver – rich and complex, it can help aid in relaxation
- Wild Orange – it’s citrusy aroma is revitalizing and uplifting
- Eucalyptus – crisp and pungent, it is very soothing to the respiratory system
- Balance – warm and woody, it promotes tranquility (and is a favorite of mine!)
- On Guard – it’s unique aroma can help purify your atmosphere
- Ylang Ylang – this exquisite fragrance is uplifting and calming at the same time (and hands-down, my all-time favorite oil. I use it almost daily)
THAT’S IT. See how easy that was? And how beautiful and unique? With how easy it is to make these, you can churn out quite a few of these for Christmas gifts this year AND still be able to make yourself a few of them (in differing styles and finishes, to complement any wardrobe you may wear)
And if you just can’t get enough of these gorgeous Essential Oil Locket Necklaces, but simply don’t have the time or patience to make them yourself, then contact me to discuss having some made for you! I have an assortment of pendants and chains (some metal chains and even some leather lacing, which adds a nice look to the metal pendants), and will be happy to discuss options and pricing with you.
And here it is. I am going to say it. Yes I am, and it’s November 10th.